What To Do After A Motor Accident?

What To Do After A Motor Accident?

As of 1st June 2008, the Motor Claims Framework (‘MCF’), has been introduced by the General Insurance Association of Singapore (‘GIA’) and is intended to be a policy condition which motor insurers will enforce. The MCF sets out procedures for motorists to follow when their vehicles meet with an accident. Under the MCF, all accidents, regardless of how minor, and even if the damage is not visible, must be reported to your insurers within 24 hours or by the next working day. It does not matter if you intend to claim from the insurers or Third Parties; you must still lodge a report with your insurers. With this new policy, all insurers will operate a 24-hour hotline. Even if you enter into a private settlement with the driver of the other vehicle involved in the accident, you must still report the accident to your insurers. You may wish to visit the GIA’s website at www.gia.org.sg for more information.

What To Do at Accident Site:

• Do not panic
• Check if anyone is injured
• If there is personal injury or someone is dying, call 995 or 999 for ambulance and police assistance.
Do not remove the vehicles unless absolutely necessary to rescue or extricate injured parties.
• If you have a camera, take photographs of accident scene and damaged vehicles / properties.
• Drive your vehicle to the side or to a safe area if no one is injured.
• Exchange information and particulars with the other parties involved:
• Vehicle registration number
• Make/model/colour of Vehicle
• Name/address/NRIC of the other driver
• Contact number of the other driver
• Insurance company of the other driver
• Extent of damage to vehicles
• Do not admit liability or argue over who is at fault.

Claims Reporting

Latest update:

With effect from 1 June 2008 for any road traffic accidents, under the Motor Claims Framework by GIA, you are required to report accident within 24 hours or by the next working day (regardless of claiming under own policy or not) with your accident vehicle at our approved reporting centres ie. authorized workshops upon occurrence of the accident. Your NCD will be affected and claim prejudiced if there is a breach of this condition.

• Before making a traffic accident report, you must bring your/driver’s NRIC or other identification documents, driving licence and the original Vehicle Insurance Certificate.
• You must try to obtain the following information for your reporting:
– registration numbers of vehicles involved
– Make/model/colour of vehicles
– Name/address/NRIC of the other driver
– Contact number of the other driver
– Insurance company of the other driver
– Extent of damage to vehicles
– date / time / place of the accident
– positions of the vehicle before & after collision
– photographs taken at scene of accident, if any
– particulars of any witnesses
– weather and road condition.

Reporting To The Police?

• Effective from 1st May 1999, motorists need only lodge a police accident report for the following categories of motor accident cases:
– Injury case
– Non-injury case involving a government vehicle or damage to government property
– Non-injury case involving a foreign vehicle (Foreign vehicles are defined as all vehicles registered in another country, all vehicles owned by visiting forces present in Singapore, all vehicles with USN or USG prefixes and as a general rule, all vehicles insured by an insurance company not registered to transact general insurance business in Singapore
– Non-injury case involving a pedestrian or cyclist
– Non-injury case involving “Parked & Found”, “Hit & Run” damages to vehicle.
The police report must be made within 24 hours of the accident.

The report can be made at any police station, Neighbourhood Police Centre (NPC) or Neighbourhood Police Post (NPP).

A copy of the report will be issued free of charge to the person making the report. Any person directly involved in the accident may purchase a copy of the other party’s accident report.
The police force has a list of the addresses and telephone numbers of NPCs and NPPs.

• An injury accident is defined as one in which:
– At least one party involved in the accident was conveyed to hospital from the accident scene by an ambulance; or
– If conveyance to hospital was done through other transport, the party is subsequently hospitalized, or given outpatient medical leave (granted by a medical practitioner) of 3 days or more; or
– Where no one was conveyed to hospital from the scene, latent injury had subsequently developed which entailed hospitalization, or outpatient medical leave of 3 days or more
• If the accident does not fall under any of the above definitions, then it is termed as non-injury motor accident and therefore Insured/driver has to make a report immediately to your insurer.
• Should the non-injury accident be subsequently reclassified as an injury accident, Traffic Police will initiate investigation and insured/driver will be contacted for a police statement to be recorded. No penalties will be imposed on the insured/driver should insured/driver proceed to file a non-injury report without prior knowledge that the accident is or has been classified as an injury case, or is one requiring a police report.
• For the convenience of our insured, report must be lodged at our designated panel of authorized workshops or our authorized agent workshops.
• Windscreen Damage
For windscreen damage claim,Insured/driver needs to call your insurer’s hotline to inform them. There are selected workshop that only repair windscreen. Some insurer have panel of repairers that goes to your vehicle’s location and repair minor damage on the spot.
• Non Traffic Accident Damages
For non traffic accident damages such as vandalism, malicious act, theft, windscreen damage, etc., Insured/driver must attend at our designated panel of authorized workshops or our authorized agent workshop for reporting. However for cases with criminal intent involved, a police report will be required before reporting eg. vandalism, theft and malicious act. The Police report and such relevant evidence and documentation must be attached to the E-file report.


Contact Us

A: 12 Toa Payoh Lorong 7 #05-473 Toa Payoh Court S310012 

M: + 65 8811 7667

E : autoquotation@gmail.com

W: www.autoquotation.sg